It's Only Been 16 Months
So, as you may have guessed, I'm not one for chit chat. The last year has been stressful to say the least. In June of 2008 I closed down the company I had been working at for 9 years. The availability of quaility personel has become rediculous to say the least.
Shortly after that, the owner had heart attack, hospitalizing him in San Antonio (2+ hours away). Unable to handle a semi-sedated state, he was put into a medically induced coma where they were able to do a triple bypass. After a week of monitored recovery, he was transferred to a rehabilitation hospital because he had no one at home. At this time, he was not in his right mind.
If you've ever had to go through anyone losing their mind, it is heartbreaking. My grandmother didn't know who I was for several years before she died, although she did know who my son was. This time was different.
Bill seemed very much himself, but the news, other tv, and his dreams became the truth of his life and has essentially "brainwashed" him. He was unwilling to cooperate when I was not there, so I would spend most of the week there and drive an hour to stay with Mom & Dad in Kerrville....my saving grace. It was so nice to not have to worry about getting food and all the ordinary things while this was going on.
In the middle of all this, my son started back to school. The hurricane threats came and went a couple of times. We were very fortunate. We actually cut the wood and installed it on the windows. What a pain!!! Safe is always better than sorry.
About August Bill was able to go home. In the beginning I drove up two to three times a week for doctor visits. Side note...if you know a diabetic in the hospital, make sure they do not stay in one place that could create pressure sores. It took until January to grow back his heel that had basically rotted off during the week he was put into the coma. It was a mess.
During the fall I went on a few interviews. Nothing seemed to quite fit, but it was exciting to go out and try to sell myself, being shy and slow to warm up. Our agreement was Bill would keep me on through the end of the year and it was fast approaching. We started praying about it.
The Fall was one of the worst ones I can remember as far as sinus problems. I had my nasal passages straightened out the second week of December. Recovery was slow. It seemed that I had a reaction to the antibiotics and read the label on the day before the last pills....woops. Note: make sure your spouse is aware of possible side effects. Anyway I ended up with an infection and a cold on top of that. I did't get on the straight path until January 9th. They gave me NEW meds!!! YEAH!!! I finally felt like a person!
On the Saturday, January 10th, Yahoo Hot Jobs search delivery popped up an ideal opportunity. I tweaked my resume and cover letter. I sent them via email and received a phone call about 10 minutes later scheduling an interview for Sunday after church.
It was a 2-1/2 hour interview at a CPA firm and I was schedule to return on Monday. Monday went well and I was offered the position. I accepted. God had answered our prayers. The job allowed me to make more more and put me back into a professional environment....NEW Wardrobe!! :o)
During all this time I had tried to contact Lutheran Social Services, but they seem to have a pretty high turnover. The industry does in general. After a summer of phone calls, they finally returned my call and sent us the info to start our case over...again in December!!!
Foster/Adoption is somewhat on hold right now. We are still adjusting to my new work schedule....8:30-5:30. I was used to getting home around 3-3:30 and my husband made it home around the same time. Getting dinner cooked right now seems to be a HUGE ordeal.
Through the course of the new chaos, I have given up scouting. This was difficult for me, but something I knew I needed to do for my family. Time seems to be such a commodity.
My mother-in-law died Saturday two weeks ago. We flew to Florida last Friday for the funeral on Saturday. We returned Sunday. Although this was not expected, she lived to be 75. She loved her kids and she love God. She was a wonderfully vivacious woman. It's hard to believe she is gone. Her wish was to be cremated. I was hoping there would be an open casket funeral, but that did not work out. The Chapel at the Air Force retirement village she lived in would not allow a body in the Chapel. It was already decided the service would be there so most of her friends would be able to go. I am not Catholic, but respect the practices of others. The Mass was "in memory" of her. The family did not speak. I felt like speaking when the priest asked again, but did not feel comfortable as I was the last to marry into the family and knew the least of her. It was just hard knowing we sent her our with a fizzle instead of a bang. On a positive note, her remains will be placed with those of the children's father in Arlington National Cemetery. This seemed to bring comfort to the kids, as although they were divorced, there was always love there.
I have not had to deal with death with the exception of my grandmother two years ago. Ken lost his dad when he was just becoming an adult and now he had lost his mother. I don't think I've ever felt so helpless. Thankfully God placed it on our hearts to join the Spring Bible study on Tuesday nights. It is segregated for men and women. The men have been a tremendous source of support for Ken. I know there is tremendous strength in women, but it was amazing to see the fellowship of men strengthen him.
That's all for now. I know I have left some things out, but this was the bulk of the excitement in our lives. I pray God will answer as your pray, as He has answered ours in such times of need.
Labels: 2008-2009 update

2 Comments:
Wow, you've had a lot going on lately. I'm glad things worked out with the new job. I hope you are able to follow your dream with foster/adopt soon too.
I was shocked when your post popped up on my blog reader! It has been so long. I'm glad to hear from you.
I second what Cindy said, WOW! So glad that you were able to find a new job, God always knows just what to do :-)
Good luck with the foster/adoption. You will be in my prayers.
Post a Comment
<< Home