Grandma - An Incredible Woman
Corpus Christi Caller-Times - Obituaries
This afternoon we will bury Grandma. Yesterday was a good day, without a breakdown. I'm not sure how the rest of the family will deal with it....I don't even know how I will deal with it. Most of my tears so far were shed waiting for her to pass away.
Grandma's heart rate was between the high 80s and 100. I went down the hall to the solarium and said a prayer for her. I begged God to take her home, ending her suffering here on Earth. I made a quick phone call to Ken and returned to her room. As soon as I walked in the room I saw that her heart rate had dropped to 50. I was shocked. The nurse was in there advising the family of the ventilator procedures after she dies. When I walked in, I was immediately informed that the ventilator would have to stay on until the dr came from the ER to pronounce her dead. Without thought I asked if she could have it removed. Grandpa agreed that she didn't need it and the nurse began the process to get the order for removal. Not five minutes later I saw her eyes move side to side and her head jiggle just a little bit. I yelled out her heart stopped, as I saw the monitor go null. I can't remember how I felt at that moment.
It took 45 minutes for the ER doc to make it up to her room. The nurse removed the tubes and made her presentable for final respects, as we waited in the hallway. Everyone talked to grandma before leaving. My sister, my mother, and I were the last ones left in the room. I didn't have a fear of her being dead like my sister, but I didn't want to leave.
Boy did she have a great life!! I'm so thankful God finally called her home. Grandma had been suffering from multiple strokes for the past five years. I just can't think of a more amazing woman!!

2 Comments:
I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandma, but like you said she is now home. It helps to know that there is no more suffering, that's what helped me get through after losing my Grandma.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. My grandma also passed away this past week...she was buried the same day I gave birth so I couldn't be there. ((Hugs))
Post a Comment
<< Home